Best (and Worst) Lip Balms

Monday 18 June 2012

I am an avid lover of lip balm. I realise now that I only have the one pair of lips but a girl can never have too many lip balms! I don't wear lipstick regularly as I prefer to opt for a more hydrating product on my lips as I'm a sufferer for very dry chapped lips if I skip even a day with no hydrating lip product. This post is really an overview of what lip products really work for me...and one that I really dislike!
001. Nivea Hydro Care: When I used to work in restaurants, I suffered from really dry lips as the hot environment and the lack of (liquid) hydration was not a good mix so I always kept a lip balm in my apron. The Nivea Hydro Care one graced my apron several times and I made my way through countless tubes! This one is my favourite as you really feel the benefits of hydration and moisture on application. I really do feel that Nivea make the best lip balms on the market and they do a wide variety of different types at inexpensive prices so I always keep one to hand!

002. Burt's Bees Nourishing Lip Balm with Mango Butter: Anything with Mango Butter in the title and I'm on it like a car bonnet! This one does however have a slight waxy texture which doesn't bother me as much and the small cap is fiddly to get off but it's a really lovely nourishing lip balm. A little more expensive than your average drugstore lip balm but I think it's worth it just for the smell alone!

003. Vaseline Lip Therapy: I use this every single day at night before I go to bed. I've been through so many tins of this. (TOP TIP: I clean out my empty Vaseline tins and use them to store hair ties and kirby grips when they're in my bag so I don't lose them in the bag vortex that takes all my kirby grips!) I don't believe it actually hydrates your lips but acts as a barrier to the outside environment and if I skip this step in my nightly routine it looks like I've rubbed sandpaper over my lips in the night!

004. Palmer's Dark Chocolate & Peppermint Lip Butter: The only word I can use to describe this is YUM! Smells divine and it really helps my chapped lips, especially in the Winter. If you're a lover of chocolate mint then you need this in your life! It's not too glossy or sticky and the squeezy applicator allows you to control how much or how little you want on your lips. Brilliant! Definitely a re-purchase for me if I run out!

005. Vaseline Cocoa Butter Lip Therapy: As you read before, I love Vaseline but I don't love this. I don't like giving bad reviews on my blog but I'd like to highlight this particular product that really didn't work for me. It just dried out my lips and made it go all flakey which made it look worse! The smell is over-powering and reminded me of marzipan (which I don't like). I don't know why I didn't throw it out, I guess I just wanted to make it work but I think this relationship is over. This is the first Vaseline product that I've tried that has come in tube form and to be honest, I'm slightly skeptical about trying any more of their 'tube' range. I'm not saying it's a terrible product and that you shouldn't buy it, but it just didn't work for me.

What do you think? What are your favourite lip balms? Do you have any recommendations for me?

Vanessa

x

6 comments:

  1. great post :) i love lip balms, sometimes i think vaseline does the job fine! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree as well! Always my fail-safe option :)

      xx

      Delete
  2. Vaseline is always my repeat buy and go to as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best there is and so inexpensive as well! :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. I love lip balms too! I have loads but I always lose them, no idea where they go haha! Try Carmex in cherry or strawberry, they are my faves and totally amazing xox

    My Blog : The Style Khaleesi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I've heard nothing but praise for Carmex! Will definitely have to give them a go :)

      xx

      Delete