MAC Paint Pot vs. Maybelline 24 Hour Colour Tattoo

Thursday 10 May 2012

I'm a firm believer that every girl should have at least one cream eyeshadow in their makeup bag. They are so easy to apply and come in an array of wearable colours. Mac paint pots have been a front runner for quite a while now but drugstore brands are quickly catching on with the likes of Maybelline recently releasing their cream eyeshadows in the UK not long ago. But how do these products compare? One being on the higher price end of the scale and the other quite affordable.

MAC

MAC house their paint pots in their infamous glass jars with a black screw top lid. I really like this type of packaging, and I always sleep better at night knowing that my paint pot won't dry out any time soon.


I have 3 shades: Soft Ochre, Bare Study and Painterly. I rarely ever use primer any more and prefer to use Painterly as a substitute as I find it less greasy and my eyeshadows last longer without the feeling of the colour slipping off my eyes!

Maybelline

The new kid on the market! They kind of crept on the scene here in the UK after being hyped up in the US. I didn't have that 'purgatory' wait for them like with the Revlon Lip Butters which made the experience of buying them that little bit better. I'm certainly disappointed that they renamed the colours here in the UK. I have an understanding that in the US they call these colours 'Bad to the Bronze' and 'Tough as Taupe'. I don't know why they didn't keep the same names....baffling! Another disappointment was the colour range, the US have 10(?) shades and we here in the UK have 5. Maybelline, get it sorted!


Again, they are housed in glass jars like an homage to the MAC paint pots. I think that's what makes them a good alternative as you feel like you're getting a really good product.

Swatches
MAC
Left to right: Soft Ochre, Bare Study and Painterly
The MAC paint pots are very pigmented. They apply really creamy and can be worn under eyeshadow for a more buildable colour or even on their own. They blend really evenly and are a really good alternative to using eyeshadow primer. Bare Study is by far my favourite shade! If I don't feel like wearing anything too heavy on my eyes, this is my go to product! Painterly comes a very close second with my preferable use as a primer.

Maybelline
Left to right: On and On Bronze and Permanent Taupe
It's been said before and I'll say it again, by gosh they are really pigmented! The colour pay-off is really really good for a drugstore product. Again, they have a creamy texture and they claim to last for 24 hours...? If you are ever up for 24 hours and wearing make up at that time, please let me know how you get on! I have found them, especially On and On Bronze, to crease on me slightly which isn't a really good look! Permanent Taupe is more of a grey shade than a taupe shade, I'm finding this colour difficult to wear though. But other than that, they are VERY comparable to MAC paint pots!

In my opinion, I do prefer the MAC paint pots to the Maybelline Colour Tattoos. Not because I am a makeup snob but I always reach for the paint pots more so than the Colour Tattoos. Although the colour pay off of the Colour Tattoos are immense my love for the paint pots shall not cease!

MAC paint pots retail for £14.50 and can be found here
Maybelline Colour Tattoos retail for £4.99 and can be found here


What do you think? Have you used either of these products before? Which one is your favourite?

Vanessa

x

14 comments:

  1. Oh wow the colour tattoo's really are super pigmented! I wish we had a wider colour range here, I think the bronzey shade is the only one I would wear! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! The pomegranate one from across the pond looks so pretty, wish it was available here :(

      xx

      Delete
  2. Great review, I think I like the lighter shades over the darker ones, especially bare study.

    xx

    http://fashion-nerdette.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bare Study certainly appeals to my magpie side for sure! :)

      xx

      Delete
  3. Love MAC, I need to get more MAC stuff. Pretty sure you can never have too much MAC

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The MAC ones look gorgeouss! Thanks for sharing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the comparison between the two. Not sure if they have this shade in the UK, but you should pick up the "Tenacious Teal" if you want to opt for something a little more bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's called Turquoise Forever in the UK...? Not quite sure but will definitely swatch it next time I'm in Boots or Superdrug :)

      xx

      Delete
  6. Vanessa u should try permanent taupe in the on the eyelid then Mac satin taupe on the eyelid and afterwards put Mac smut eyeshadow on the crease, it looks really good like that

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thought of getting a comparable product at a cheaper price is so tempting, yet the shades of the Mac pots are so much more beautiful!
    Great review thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree, the MAC shades are so much more wearable than the Maybelline ones :)

      xx

      Delete