Recipe // Coffee and Walnut Cake

Tuesday 16 February 2016


I've finally got a kitchen in my flat that I am happy with after cooking in an old school 80's style kitchen for the past 6 months. Of course, I had to go and bake a cake to mark the celebration. You can adapt this recipe to gluten free which is what I did with this cake (one of my work colleagues can't have gluten and I always feel bad when people bring in cake that she can't eat!)

Ingredients
300g butter
300 golden caster sugar
2 tbsp instant coffee
200g chopped walnuts
300g self raising flour (or gluten free flour if using)
3 eggs

For the icing:-
200g butter
300-400g icing sugar
2 tbsp instant coffee

Method

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Mix the instant coffee with one tbsp of boiling water. Put to one side to cool
3. Cream the butter and sugar together into light and fluffy. This should take about 5 minutes
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing throughly after each addition
5. Mix in the flour, coffee and chopped walnut until well incorporated
6. Divide between three sandwich tins
7. Bake for around 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and springs back when you press it
8. Leave to cool in the tins for around 5-10 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
9. To make the icing, cream the butter until it is soft - I would recommend you leave it out at room temperature to make this easier
10. Add the icing sugar and coffee and mix together until you get a smooth butter icing
11. Once the cakes are cool, spread the butter icing onto one cake and layer one on top and repeat
12. Finish the cake with some more walnuts, I chopped some up and put in the middle of the cake but I also put some walnut halves around the edges
13. Serve and enjoy!

You can reduce the amount of mixture for the cake to make only two layers. I would say to around 200g for the butter, sugar and flour but the three layers look amazing! This cake will keep for around 3 days in an air tight container and as always, don't store in the fridge!

Let me know if you go and make this cake!

Vanessa

x

No comments:

Post a Comment