A Foodie Eats: Cue Barbeque Aberdeen

Saturday 12 March 2016


We all love a bit of American Deep South Barbeque food right? Something a bit hearty with smokey meat that's been cooking away for hours resulting in the most tender and juicy piece of meat? I'll stop for a moment whilst you wipe away some of that drool...

Talks of this new barbeque joint that recently opened in Aberdeen got everyone into a frenzy. We decided to try this new restaurant out and we made the excuse to go to celebrate Brother Orchid's 28th birthday. Booking the table was a bit of a logistical nightmare - even though I do logistics as a job! I couldn't get through to anyone on the telephone so I decided to turn up one evening to book a table. Call me old fashioned but I like to speak to someone on the phone when making bookings. Gives more of a personal touch. After they took my name and number and said they would call me to confirm; no-one ever did. The next thing I did was email them and again, no response (I actually received an email back on the day of the booking!). After some chats with my colleagues, they pointed me in the direction of the online booking system which I duly followed in order to secure us a table. Anyway...enough of the life story round up.

The restaurant itself is quite small but jam packed full of tables. You could tell they wanted to utilise as much of the space as possible. The menu was vast and had a good variety of meats, burgers, tacos and interesting sides. I had studied the menu for a long time leading up to the meal and decided on the fried chicken, fries and macaroni on the side. For the purposes of reviewing it all of course!


The chicken was served in a bucket and had 4 pieces of chicken thighs - I'm an 'eyes bigger than you belly' kind of person so I had to share out some of my food in order to finish it all! The chicken was tender and the coating was very flavoursome. The fries were deliciously crispy and the seasoning on them was amazing. The let down was the macaroni cheese side which arrived at the table only slightly warm. It wasn't at the stage where it was cold enough to complain about but in hindsight, I probably should have asked for it to be re-heated. I wolfed it down to prevent it getting any colder.


The boy opted for the house burger which came towering and jam packed with two beef burgers, cheese and bacon. He said it was very flavoursome and throughly enjoyed the crispy fries on the side. Mama Orchid had the beef brisket and Brother Orchid had the jalapeƱo and cheese sausage. All were very well received.

Overall the food was very tasty and well cooked. You could tell they had thought a lot about the concept of the restaurant and everything was very meticulous - the service was also very good. The prices of the dishes are on the slightly higher side and they don't offer sides on specific dishes so the price of your meal automatically increases once you start adding additional items. It was nice to try for a special occasion but will be less likely to pop in for a bite to eat any other time.

Vanessa

x

No comments:

Post a Comment