recipe: banana caramel layered cake

Wednesday 10 October 2012

I don't eat bananas very often. Very seldom actually. But when you put them in a cake, I'm all over it like a rash! I thought I'd share with you my latest culinary delight. A banana caramel layered cake.

*beware. bananas feature heavily in this post!*

Recipe
200g butter
150g caster sugar
50g light brown sugar
4 eggs
200g self raising flour
*a dash of vanilla extract*
1tbsp milk
2 small very ripe bananas

1. Cream the butter and both types of sugar together with an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
2. Whisk the eggs and vanilla together and add to the butter and sugar a little at a time.
3. Sieve the flour in and gently fold until all incorporated.
4. Mush the bananas in a separate bowl with a fork and add to the cake mix along with the milk. Mix.
5. Bake in three separate tins and bake in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.

Make a caramel buttercream with either shop bought caramel or make your own. Layer with the buttercream and slices of banana between each layer. Top with a drizzle of caramel or a topping of your choice. 

Excuse my very sparse and sporadic instructions. It's tough to remember what you did when you're in banana caramel cake and coffee heaven!

An alternative to buttercream would be whipped cream and you can omit the additional slices of banana between the layers if you wish. Enjoy as your afternoon tea, with some ice cream for desert, coffee or tea, or any time in between!

Bon appétit!

Vanessa

4 comments:

  1. I really can't wait to make this! All I seem to be making recently are banana based cakes but it is such a good way to use up old bananas.

    Kirstie - Weekend Toast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm looks so delicious, I have bookmarked this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Let me know how you get on!

      xx

      Delete